EXTRA RESPONSIBILITIES FOR HOSTS OF STUDENTS IN HIGH SCHOOL OR YOUNGER
In addition to the standard host selection criteria Hosts must:
● Be members of the local community within 30 minutes travel of the school
● Not host more than 2 international students, each in their own private room, at one time
● Be willing to sign and accept the responsibilities of custodial care for the student
● All members of the household over the age of 18 must pass a criminal background check and a search of the Department of Justice’s National Sex Offender Registry
● Fully complete their profile truthfully and to a high standard
● Complete online training
● Pass a home inspection and interview to determine they are a suitable host (if it has been more than 6 months since the home was inspected a pre-arrival inspection must occur)
● Pass ongoing inspections every Semester (inspection to be done by Local Manager within 30-60 days of the students’ arrival and a 2nd inspection to be done within 6 months).
● Attend host parent orientation program to connect host parents with the school and learn more about the academic program if required by the student’s school.
● Understand and accept the billing cycle and payment terms:
○ Host will be paid 2 weeks at a time. First payment will be processed on the first Monday after the student arrives and then fortnightly for the duration of the placement. They will be paid normal full rate if the student goes home in the Christmas/ Easter break. The student may stay for up to one week before and/ or after the beginning/end of the school year but must pay additional fees if they wish to stay for the entire summer break.
● Pick the student up from the airport holding a clearly visible sign in the arrivals area (monitor the flight online for any changes and adjust pick up time as needed)
● Drop the student back at the airport when they leave
● Drive students to and from school and extracurricular activities and support non-school related activities and social engagements (within reason)
● Provide 3 meals a day ● Conduct orientation with the student to include: Discussion of the house rules, expectations of each other, offer support and guidance and encourage the student to come to them if they have any concerns
● Show the student around the local area and assist them to open a bank account and obtain a SIM card
● Monitor the student to ensure they are settling in, talk to them about how to cope with small problems, escalate any bigger concerns to SRS Concierge.
● Monitor the student to ensure key rules are followed (such as not driving, smoking etc)
● Monitor curfews, school attendance and student travel. Contact SRS Concierge for all travel approval
● Practice English with the student whenever possible (during meal times at a minimum)
● Treat the student as a member of the family taking them to local family outings and monitoring their whereabouts at all times