This Student Code of Conduct sets out the guidelines and expectations for behavior that apply to Students participating in an SRS Homestay Homestay and should be read together with the SRS Homestay Student Agreement as applicable.
SRS has a specific Code of Conduct for Students in High School and Younger. Please click HERE to view the Code of Conduct for Students in High School and Younger.
SRS Homestay Student Code of Conduct
Age 18 and Older / College Students
Note: This policy is subject to change at any time. Please check all SRS Homestay Policies on a regular basis for updates.
Congratulations on choosing to participate in a Homestay organized by the StudentRoomStay International Corporation (SRS Homestay). This Student Code of Conduct sets out the guidelines and expectations for behavior that apply to Students participating in an SRS Homestay Homestay and should be read together with the SRS Homestay Student Agreement as applicable. The Student Code of Conduct has been developed by StudentRoomStay International Corporation to ensure the safety and well-being of all students participating in the StudentRoomStay International Corporation Program (“Program”). All capitalized terms have the same meaning as defined in the agreements, and the terms of the agreements will apply to the extent of any inconsistency with this policy. The Student is required to fully abide by the rules, regulations and standards of conduct set forth herein.
Please read through this policy carefully and contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
SRS Homestay’s Role:
- SRS Homestay will take reasonable steps to assist Hosts and Students in the event of an emergency or other issue and will answer any questions you have about SRS Homestay’s services. Guests and Hosts have access to 24/7 support through SRS Homestay’s after hours’ emergency line – 877-385-8425 ext 5.
- In keeping with the provisions of the agreements, SRS Homestay is committed to creating positive outcomes for all Homestay participants and may act to remove a Student from a Homestay or take any other action it deems to be in the best interests of the Student, Host or SRS Homestay at any time. SRS Homestay will make every attempt to assist if emergency accommodation is required.
- For more information about SRS Homestay Services please see your Student Agreement (as applicable), visit our website or contact us.
Both Hosts and Students must:
- Treat each other and every other person in the Home in a fair, respectful and polite manner. This means being considerate of other peoples’ feelings and needs and includes things like not touching any person or their personal property without their permission, keeping your environment clean and tidy and saying thank you to someone who does something for you.
- Understand that your customs or beliefs may be different to those of your Host or Student. Have an open mind. One of the most important benefits of a Homestay is ‘cultural exchange’ – the chance to learn about someone else’s experiences and values. All participants need to be treated with respect, including when carrying out reasonable cultural or religious practices in the Home. Discrimination of any kind is not acceptable.
- Work together to make the Homestay a success. It is very important that both Students and Hosts make an effort to communicate clearly and effectively about important matters and cooperate to resolve any misunderstandings or issues that might arise. It takes contribution from both sides to create a comfortable and enjoyable environment within the Home. Make sure that you provide your Student or Host with current contact details and any other important information about you they should know, and be careful not to share any information you receive with anyone else without the Student or Hosts’ permission.
To ensure that all enrolled Students remain safe, in-status, and successful, SRS Homestay has established the following expectations for all enrolled students.
Abide by United States, State, County, and Local Laws
The following are some behaviors prohibited by the United States laws, which is provided by SRS Homestay for your information:
- The Students under age 21 will not consume alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, or other illegal drugs of any kind in accordance with federal, state, county and city laws. Students over age 21 will not consume illegal drugs of any kind in accordance with federal, state, county and city laws. For the sake of the Student's safety, the Student is not permitted to possess any firearms or weapons of any kind. The Student will not associate with any person involved with controlled substances or firearms.
- The Student will not exhibit, threaten, or commit any violent or dangerous behavior, or act in an aggressive manner toward another person, property, or financial security.
- The Student will not steal, damage, or embezzle another person's property.
- The Student will not view, share, or download sexually explicit materials, via any print or electronic device, including photos of himself or herself.
- The Student will not reproduce, copy, or use any unauthorized or copyrighted material (book, recording, television program, patented invention, trademarked product, etc.), in violation of the law. This includes illegal downloading of media.
- It is against the law in many states for individuals over the age of 18 to have a sexual relationship with any person under the age of 18.
Respect Host Family Life
- Cover certain costs. Student should ask the Hosts’ permission before using their telephone or internet services and expect to pay the cost of telephone calls. Student will be expected to cover your own travel, entertainment and medical expenses as well as any other personal costs that come up during the Homestay. If the Student causes any damage to the Home, the student will be expected to pay for repairs.
- Comply with any reasonable ‘house rules’ the Host gives. These may include:
- Keeping your room tidy,
- Assisting with minor chores,
- Following the state and/or federal guidelines for recycling and disposal of waste products,
- Using resources such as water and electricity responsibly,
- Keeping noise to a minimum,
- Attending mealtimes promptly and preparing your own breakfast and lunch (if required),
- Being polite and considerate at all times; and
- Keeping your Host advised of your schedule and activities.
- The Student agrees to respect the Host Family's lifestyles. The Student is encouraged to communicate with program staff members with any concerns they may have.
- The Student acknowledges that the Student is a guest in the Host Family's home. The Host Family is expected to reasonably respect the Student's privacy and boundaries but are able to access the room in order to fulfill the responsibilities of hosting including keeping the Student safe. The Host Family may ask to see or restrict the Student's possessions in order to maintain a safe environment and positive behavior within their home. This includes the contents of packages shipped to the host family home. SRS Homestay should be contacted first if there is a concern about the Student’s or Host’s safety and there is a need to see or restrict the Student’s possessions.
- The Student is required to compensate the Host Family for damage to the host family home beyond a reasonable level of wear-and-tear. The reasonableness of wear-and-tear and amount of compensation will be determined on a case-by-case basis. SRS Homestay will coordinate compensation for hosts whose property has been damaged.
- The Student will not become involved in a romantic or physical relationship with any member of the Host Family. If the Student experiences any inappropriate or uncomfortable behavior, then the Student will report it immediately to the SRS Homestay Support Staff or any other representative of SRS Homestay.
- To avoid any unnecessary dispute about the Student's property, SRS Homestay strongly suggests the Student bring valuable belongings with him/her when he/she leaves the host family's home Student may hold the room for a fee.Please see the SRS Homestay Room Holding Policy.
- The Student is not allowed to bring friends, their natural parents or anyone else to the host family home without the Host Family's prior consent.
- Stay in contact. The student must communicate regularly with the Host about their activities and notify the Host if you will be away from the Home during a mealtime or overnight. The Student should immediately contact SRS Homestay if you feel uncomfortable or unsafe in the Homestay environment.
Internet, Cell Phone & Electronic Usage and Safety
- All Student are required to have a working US phone while in the SRS Homestay Program. An SRS Homestay representative can help the Student to obtain a cell phone or a SIM card.
- The Student will maintain healthy online behavior. This includes not bullying other people online by sending mean, insulting, or threatening messages or images. The Student agrees not to post or give out sensitive or private information about themselves or another person. The Student will report any such behavior to the Host Parent, and/or SRS Homestay Support Staff, and/or a School Counselor, if they see others engaging in it.
Student may not borrow money from or use the Host Family's credit card(s). Student may not open any joint account with the Host Family for the benefit of the Student, or otherwise lend their name to any bank account for the benefit of the Student. Student is required to maintain access to an international debit or credit card account that allows them to withdraw cash in the US.
Neither SRS Homestay, nor the Host Family, will assume any financial responsibility for any personal losses resulting from the acts or inactions of Student whether willful or negligent. This includes without limitation, damage to property and lost or stolen money. Student is advised not to carry more than $500 U.S. Dollars on their person at any one time
Medical and Health:
- It is strongly suggested the Student carry a medical insurance card and the SRS Homestay emergency contact numbers at all times in case of emergency.
- Student understands and agrees to disclose to SRS Homestay all Student health information relevant to Student participation in the SRS Homestay Program, including all known or suspected physical and/or mental health issues. SRS Homestay strives to keep all Student in the SRS Homestay Program but in rare situations, upon medical recommendation, SRS Homestay may request Student to leave Program, require a program transfer, or require medical or mental-health treatment as a condition of continued participation in the SRS Homestay Program.
By signing this Agreement, the Student represents and warrant: (i) Student has reviewed the Student Code of Conduct, and agree the Student Code of Conduct is reasonable and appropriate to ensure the proper care and safety of Student during Student's participation in the SRS Homestay Program; (ii) except as previously disclosed in writing by Student to SRS Homestay, Student is in sufficient physical, mental and emotional health to fully participate in all aspects of the SRS Homestay Program and to meet all program requirements, including full compliance with the Student Code of Conduct.
Updated October 15, 2021